Typical corps
I
explained last week how I found myself with a large collection of painted
figures, from which I now wanted to create all of the major armies of the 1813
campaign.
I
had a very clear idea what I wanted to achieve, but not how to do so.
I
wanted to use every figure in my collection in a series of campaigns
So do so I wanted to use them in sequence, with one allied nation in each campaign
I had 160 infantry, 16 cavalry and 4 guns in each allied “army”. This was to be a fictional campaign based on 1813. But I wanted to make it “feel” and look like a Napoleonic campaign. So the basic army had to be a corps. It would be very unusual for a French army to have just one corps, so my existing figures would have to represent three or four corps. My wargames table was built by using nine 2x2 foot squares.
They were three wide and three deep. I found that if I divided each army into four corps they would fit one corps to one square. Thus I could have three corps wide and one corps in reserve for each army.
Fortunately my armies provided 4 infantry, 1 cavalry and 1 gun for each of the new four corps. You will see what I mean in the photograph above. Each corps would have 4 brigades of 8 infantry, one brigade of 4 cavalry and one corps artillery of one gun. The four infantry figures left over would provide skirmishers if required.
I based the infantry and cavalry two figures to a stand. This means that my infantry brigades could form column of march, column of attack, line and square. My cavalry could form column of march and line. I had to get used to 8 figures representing a brigade of infantry, but that was an acceptable compromise.
Before leaving the UK I had discovered Le Feu Sacre (LFS) rules, which I really liked using. However they are designed for a one corps game, with 12 infantry figures representing a battalion. I decided to design my own rules, relying very heavily on the principles of LFS. The only difference was that I replaced their orders of battle with my own 8 infantry figure brigades, 4 cavalry figure brigades and 1 gun for corps artillery.
These rules rely on command and control very heavily, which I liked. It rewarded historical Napoleonic tactics. Their command figure was brigade and division. Mine would be corps and army.
I am very pleasantly surprised to find that the original planning back in 2008 has largely survived 18 years of frequent Wargaming. We always have a game on the table and have a couple of moves four or five times a week. It usually takes us about 10 to 14 days to complete a 12 move game.
The only major adjustment is that we soon adapted to three corps games. This meant that each mini campaign order of battle would consist of slightly different armies as I switched the four corps to provide armies of three corps.
Next
week I will consider designing the wargames table, which would be the
foundation of the orders of battle and the campaign maps.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any