Sunday 19 November 2023

Wargame Rule Review

 




It is seven months since I did a comprehensive rewrite of our wargame rules. During that time we have fought almost 15 wargames, more than enough to have discovered whether they work or not.

My objective was to create a fast moving game with a distinct feel of Napoleonic battles. I wanted to remove as much checking of plus and minus factors for combat and morale as possible. But most important I wanted to introduce a strong element of chance. My wife and I have wargamed together for more than 50 years. We are fortunate to have a permanent wargames table, so we game at least three or four days a week. So neither of us make any significant tactical errors, and both can anticipate what the other will do in most circumstances. This can lead to very predictable wargames. And one error, or one bad run of dice, can determine the outcome of a game.

I wanted to retain the roles of artillery, cavalry and infantry. But I also wanted the game to be decided by the infantry. This balance can be difficult to create, particularly in the early stages of writing rules. It is often only with extensive play that the weakeness can be seen. I have found this to be particularly so when using commercial rules sets.

The key to all of this would be the use of just one six sided dice for all combat and morale tests. There would have to be a minimum number of plus or minus adjustments. This is essential to cater for class of troops, supports, casualties and command. Particularly in my order of battle where troops are classed A, B or C for both morale, skirmish and musket fire. I have taken great care to create complicated orders of battle for each of my five campaign areas. I feel it is important for all armies to have historical national characterises. But also to give all armies a reasonable chance of success, even the Spanish.

With just one dice it was easy to control the eventual outcome. A roll of 1 would mean disaster, a roll of 6 would mean Prussian landwehr infantry could defeat French Imperial Guardsmen. But, of course, it must not happen too often.

I am very pleased with how our new rules have developed. They give a distinctive Napoleonic feel to our games (at least in our opinion). Equally important they allow the battle to develop and reach a conclusion within the 12 moves (equal to 12 hours in the campaign) maximum

The result of casualties is particularly pleasing. When a brigade has a “hit”, which is 10% of its strength) is must test morale. It deducts 2 points for the hit and for being disordered. However it gains 1 point if supported by a formed brigade within 4” and another 1 point if the corps commander is within 4”. It also gets 1 point if elite or loses 1 point if conscript. The dice is then thrown and with the following consequences:

5 or 6 – pass morale
4 - disordered
3 – retreat full move disordered
2 – retreat full move shaken
1 – retreat full move in rout

However it is relatively easy to rally shaken or routed brigades, providing that they roll a good dice. But if they retreated they then have to form up and move back to their original position on the table.

The overall effect is a much more fluid wargame than we have ever experienced. An attack or defence can crumble with just one roll of 1. Using previous rules this would have resulted in certain defeat for the side which rolled the poor dice. But in these rules it is quite possible to recover, but it will take two or three moves.

It is great fun to play a wargame which is so unpredictable. It means that the outcome of a game can change right up to move 11 or even 12. We are both very pleased with the new rules.

6 comments:

  1. Good that your innovations have paid off and that they seem calibrated correctly for you and Jan. Are you updating your 'Napoleonic Wargame Rules' to reflect the changes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI JWH

      I did consider updated the Napoleonic Wargame Rules. But they were written for the PBEM phase of my 1813 campaign. The aim was to allow players in the campaign to better understand the battles fought as wargames.

      The new rules are designed as a sort of play guide. A lot of background information, which would be required for anyone else to understand the rules, is missing. I am not sure I want to devote the time required to write a complete new set.

      I have always felt that my wargame rules are too niche and written to our particular style of wargaming. I really don't think that they would appeal to a wider audience.

      regards

      Paul

      Delete
  2. Thistlebarrow -
    Happy is the war gamer who hits upon a rule set that still 'hits the spot' after 15 games! I form the impression that your wargames with your wife are at least as much a collaborative activity as competitive - which, by the way, has long been my belief about the nature of battles in the real world. The end result is a satisfactory narrative whose outcome is unknown until the final act.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion

      I would say that our wargames are still quite competitive, though in a very good natured way. We both like to win, but not if it is only due to a run of good or bad dice. Until we wrote the new rules we would often concede once the outcome became obvious, rather than fight to the last man. The great advantage of the new rules is that it is quite possible to suffer a major setback right to the last move. Most days we play for an hour or two, and really miss it if we have to take a longer break.

      regards

      Paul

      Delete
  3. Thistlebarrow,

    I read this blog post with interest. I have tended to try to write rules where only one D6 needed to be rolled to determine the outcome of combat, and that a low score produces a worse result than a high score. I know that some people prefer what is often termed ‘bucket of dice’ combat resolution, and I’ve used it myself at times … but I always seem to return to a ‘one dice solution’ … as Dr Watson might have written had Sherlock Holmes been a wargamer!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      I have never liked the "bucket of dice" approach. For me the dice represents only the element of chance. It should not be a game winner. The more dice you have the harder it is to quickly calculate the odds of a particular decision. I prefer to plan my wargame based on morale, combat ability, casualties and terrain. The rest is "in the laps of the Gods" - or in this case the roll of the dice

      regards

      Paul

      Delete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any