Tuesday 2 October 2012

PBEM – Old and New




The old in the title refers to my own campaign.

I have received seven replies to my questionnaire.   Not a great deal.  But I am very pleased with the ones I have received because they are detailed, considered and constructive.   Clearly the writers have given some thought to the questions I raised and have some interesting suggestions for improving the campaign.

As might be expected there is a degree of disagreement in suggestions made.   For example one questionnaire wanted more fog of war, another wanted more information.   One wanted less CinC influence, another wanted clearer objectives.  

It would be wrong to assume that one cancels the other out.   Both have merits and both create further problems.   But at least it has given me something to think about.

The one thing which I have already come to realise is that I am the only one who can make the campaign work.   It has lasted as long as it has because I have very firm objectives and I am very clear about how I want to achieve them.   Some players, perhaps many, will not enjoy the game that results from this unyielding approach.   No doubt that is why many have left the campaign.   But the replies I have received confirm that others have enjoyed the campaign because of my firm control and direction.

I will post the suggestions on the PBEM forum in the coming weeks and give my response.   Hopefully it will encourage more comments.   The important thing is to get the next phase of the campaign right before it starts.

The new in the title is a new 1813 PBEM campaign which I heard about last week.   It is to be run by MurdocK, who has posted comments on this blog recently.   He took part in my PBEM campaign for a short time, but did not enjoy it.  This is perfectly understandable, and he did have the courtesy to tell me he no longer wanted to take part.

Then a couple of week later I heard that he was recruiting for his own campaign.  I immediately wrote to him and asked if I could take part in a minor role. 

It would be really interesting to take part in another PBEM campaign.  My previous experiences have been very disappointing, but I remain every optimistic.   I am sure that I could learn a lot from a well run campaign, and that it could be great fun.

So fingers crossed that it will get going and that I will be allowed to play a minor role.   But even more important that the campaign will work and run its course.

If you would like to find out more about the campaign you will find details here:



3 comments:

  1. Thistlebarrow!

    Thank you for the link to the recruiting party.

    Certainly more hands in this one will lighten the load.

    Minor or major roles will be with those who wish to take them on, I would like to do a 'playtest' in late November and into December and get some feedback from folks to see what would work smoothest. For that one it would be a matter of come one come all to see all the working bits and do some action 'open' (no fog of war or other confusion to make it harder) so that some of the communication bugs can be worked out.

    I would gladly respond to your questionnaire, I do not recall getting one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MurdocK

    Its a good idea to run a playtest to see what works.

    I hope that you get a good response and manage to get your campaign going.

    I have sent you a copy of the questionnaire and look forward to reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thistlebarrow,

    yes we are working on the tools now for a playtest and will see what sort of response I get by November 15.

    I have responded to your questionnaire.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any