Sunday 11 December 2022

End of Goslar Campaign


Goslar Campaign Area

There were six battles fought, the Prussians won four and the French just two.

 

The campaign objective, the city of Goslar, was held by the French throughout the campaign.  

But by the end of the campaign Blucher has taken Osterode and routed Third French Army and outnumbered the French three to two.

Brunswick Region

There have been three campaigns in the Brunswick Region since the Sixth Campaign began

in September 2020.  

The French won two and the Prussians just one.

Of the 17 battles fought the French won ten and the Prussians seven

Europe

Since the 1813 campaign began in April 2009 there have been 16 campaign phases fought in Northern Europe between Napoleon and Blucher.  

The French won eight and the Prussians also eight.

 

Comments

At first sight this campaign, which began two years ago, was unusual in that Napoleon was beaten by Blucher.

In this current campaign the French beat the Prussians two campaigns to one

They also won ten battles and the Prussians only seven


However throughout the whole 1813 campaign, which began 13 years ago, both sides won 8 phases.

 

The French have the Imperial Garde corps, which has better quality troops than any of the Prussians corps

However when both armies are compared the number of elite brigades is similar.

 

One of my objectives in planning the 1813 campaign was that both sides should be equal

The campaign is designed to provide interesting battles to wargame.

So it was important that formations like the Imperial Garde should not win every battle

It would be possible, but a lot of work, to determine how many of their battles they did in fact win

But the fact that the French and Prussians each won eight phases seems to indicate that  I was reasonably successful.

2 comments:

  1. Thistlebarrow,

    It was nice to read your summary of what has happened in the past. It shows that you got the fundamentals of wargame campaigning right, and it has generated lots of interesting battles for you to fight. It is an example many others would be wise to emulate.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      Thanks for your comment. I would like to thing that some of my ideas for the campaign might be taken up by other wargamers. The main reason I started blogging about the campaign was to keep a record for future reference. But I also wanted to show how easy it is to set up a wargame campaign, and that it adds considerable enjoyment to your tabletop wargames. I would have welcomed such information when I started off my wargames journey. It would have saved me considerable work and expenditures. However I would not change my own experience, including the mistakes and long learning curve.

      best regards

      Paul

      Delete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any