We have managed a lot of test play on the new campaign, and it soon became clear that major adjustments were necessary.
I had planned that the area for each campaign would be one of the military regions. Each region has nine districts, and each district would be a wargames table. But it soon became obvious that this was too great an area to fit on a 6x6 foot wargames table. For example from Hannover to Hamburg was one wargames table. But in fact this is 150km. Much too far even for a fictional campaign.
So I decided to make each district a campaign area. But to do so I would have to divide the district into nine towns/villages. And each one would be a wargames table. The map above shows how this works for the Brunswick region.
Each square on this map is a wargames table and one days movement on the campaign map. The distance from Hannover to Hamburg is three squares, which is three days march. 50km a day is still stretching it a little, but is easier to accept than
150 km a day.
Most of them are much shorter. For example Hannover to Brunswick is 60km, a very reasonable 20km per day.
The second problem was the new supply system.
I had planned to limit each campaign phase by restricting each corps to seven days supplies, without the option of resupply. This seemed reasonable in theory, but did not work in practice. Each army had to spend time to establish a depot to bring forward their supplies, then wait to issue them. It made any advance impossible to support.
So I have planned to revert to the previous system of supply. Each corps will start with four days, plus one day in depot. Each depot will collect one days supplies per day. Each army will have a reserve corps of four infantry brigades to garrison depots. So each army can have a maximum of four depots, one for each corps.
Just completed the reorganisation, and hope to test play the first campaign this week.