Sunday 30 October 2022

Wargaming Napoleon and his Guard

 

I suspect that most Napoleonic wargamers have a Napoleon figure and at least one French guard unit, probably grenadiers, in their collection.

In early 1970 I had been wargaming for about a year, using Airfix plastic figures.   I borrowed a copy of “Charge, or how to play Wargames” from my local library.  This was a hardback book with glossy pages and lots of black and white photographs.   At the end was a list of model soldier manufacturers and the cost of their figures.   The cheapest metal figure was made by Hinton Hunt.   A week later Jan and I visited his shop in Camden Passage in London.   I remember wooden trays with compartments filled with shiny model soldiers.   Amongst my very first purchase was a figure of Napoleon and a handful of French guard grenadiers.   I knew nothing of figure scales or orders of battle so I just picked a couple of each of the figures which appealed to me most.   In addition to the grenadiers I brought home a selection of Polish lancers,  British Scots Greys and RHA gunners.

They took pride of place amongst my large collection of Airfix French infantry, British Highlanders and French Artillery.  Many hours were spent playing the battle of Blasthof Heath from “Charge” to try and master the rules.

In those early days of wargaming no one even noticed if a unit of French guard grenadiers fought regularly alongside a couple of line units.   It was only when I, and apparently the rest of the British wargaming community, became aware of orders of battle for real battles which confirmed that the French Imperial Guard were actually a reserve formation which rarely, if ever, took part in actual fighting.

I have never been one for historical orders of battle, but over the years my collection of model soldiers was expanded to include a more balanced ratio of guard to line troops.   For many years the Imperial Guard gathered dust on their shelf in the wargames room.

In 2009 I decided to reorganise my whole concept of Wargaming.   I would start a fictional campaign based on the 1813 campaign.  The armies would cover all of the major, and many of the minor, players in that campaign.   The aim was to use all of my figures in a sequence of campaigns based in Germany and Spain.

Because this was a solo project I did not have to convince anyone else or defend my fictional orders of battle.   I ended up with eight French corps of 32 infantry, 4 cavalry, 4 gunners and 1 gun.   There was one old guard and one young guard corps.

I was determined that the French old guard would be elite, but not super human, troops.   One of the 4 infantry brigades would be A class, the other three B class.  This compared with a Prussian corps where the grenadier brigade would also be A, two musketeer brigades would be B and the landwehr brigade would be C. The old guard would have an edge, but only a very small one.

It has never worried me in the heat of a wargame that the old guard grenadiers might be defeated by a Prussian landwehr brigade.   If the French player rolled a 2, and the Prussian one a 6, the grenadiers would lose.

However when I type up the battle report I often wonder how this might be received by the general wargaming community if they read it on the Campaign Diary Blog. 

10 comments:

  1. Its always good for units to be on the tabletop and not gathering dust. An impressive looking group of units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which I expect is the fate of a lot of French guard figures.

      Delete
  2. Giving the Prussian Landwehr brigade a 1-in-18 chance or so of winning the encounter doesn't seem unrealistic at all. So go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The campaign is set in 1813, when the French troops were poorer quality than in earlier years. And at the same time the quality of the allied troops generally accepted as higher than in previous campaigns. But even so I suspect many wargamers would not be as generous as yourself regarding the Old Guard v Prussian landwehr!

      Delete
  3. As a confirmed fan of Napoleon, I'd think it was a hoot. I have played games against people who have the Old Guard on the table with lopsided results and so evening the odds makes sense to ne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I have seen many (heated) discussions about the merits of elite troops, such a British riflemen or French Old Guard. Most wargame rules allow a bonus in both combat and morale. But hitting the right balance in a wargame is very difficult.. Once the element of a dice throw is introduced it is hard to maintain their elite status, unless they are to be treated as super human. And, of course, historically the guard were always used as a reserve. In most wargames that I have witnessed there is rarely any reserve at all, and certainly it would be a brave wargamer who kept his best troops in support throughout the game.

      Delete
  4. Thistlebarrow;
    The evolution of a war gamer! My own was vaguely similar to yours, except, in respect of the Imperial Guard, coming form the opposite direction. For a long time my French Army was actually Marshal Lannes's V Corps at Austerlitz: 10 infantry units (27-figure 'regiments), 4 light cavalry regiments at 12 figures each, and, I think, 4 or 6 cannon. All metal fifures and models. Attached to this formation was a units each of dragoons and cuirassiers ('cos I wanted some heavies).

    But about 15 years ago I decided upon a major shift of emphasis: the foot units were reduced to 24 figures each, and as such might represent a battalion or regiment - or might represent a Division. I was going the same direct you have: towards army-level battles. And, having acquired some bearskin Guard figures, and a whole bunch more besides, my French army now comprises 6 Army Corps, 2 Cavalry Corps, and the Imperial Guard.

    My Imperial Guard comprises 3 infantry Divisions: Young, Middle and Old Guard (only the Old Guard has bearskins in my army); 3 cavalry brigades (1 heavy, 2 light, but one is 'understrength' in terms of numbers, and a 'park' of 2 cannon (with 5 gunners each, represents overall 80 cannon). It is a very powerful formation!

    Of course, I had to have a Napoleon. I finally got one a couple of years ago. And, of course, I had to have a Blucher for my plastic Prussian army. I have had him for several month, now...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian. I am impressed that you started off with a balanced army. I had been wargaming for about a year before I stumbled upon a book called (I think) Model Soldiers by Henry Harris. It was aimed at collectors of Britains figures, and dealt is some detail with the balance of cavalry, artillery and infantry. And also guard, line and conscript. It was a real eye opener for me, and put me on the right track. But I then had to paint up a LOT of line infantry and cavalry.

      Fortunately these days there is an abundance of information and advice available on the web. Orders of battle for every nationality, campaign and battle. Free, full colour uniform information for all nations. Endless discussion of strategy, tactics, supply and movement.

      It must be daunting for a newbie to the hobby. Much easier when I started, when pretty well everyone seemed to be as ignorant as I was, and just as happy to do everything "wrong". No doubt there were experts around, but mostly unknown without the benefit of social media.

      Happier days perhaps?

      Delete
    2. I think one can have too much information. My French army could do with some allies - but what might one have; Poles, Bavarians, Saxons, Westphalians, Italians, Neapolitans, Croatians, Swiss...? Somehow... I don't think so!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    3. Hi Ion

      I have 3 Bavarian corps, 2 Polish, 1 Baden, 1 Italian and 1 Westphalian. Mind each corps is only 32 infantry, 4 cavalry, 4 gunners and 1 gun - so no great effort to add some colourful allies.

      I think over the years, and particularly in the past 20 years of easily available information on the internet, you cannot help but receive too much information. Having twisted and turned to new rules I have finally decided what I want to do, what I like and what suits me best. That is perhaps the one good thing that comes with age, you cease to be bothered about what other folk think of what you are doing.

      Delete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any