Sunday 23 March 2014

Wargame Building Project




We have made good progress on making our new town houses.   So far we have completed eight houses and churches, and also a selection of low walls.   They are not town walls, they will come later


This is how we use them on the wargames table.   The felt is the area covered by the town or village.  The buildings can be removed to allow movement through the section, or hand to hand fighting inside.

Normally Jan and I do our own thing, apart from fighting the wargames.   My main occupation is the PBEM campaign.  She has a lot of her own hobbies, such as Spanish lessons and ceramics.   So it is nice to have a project which we can share together.

Jan is the artistic one.   I cut the card for the walls and roofs.   She does the windows and doors.   I cut and paste the roof tiles.   She does the wooden beams.

My main contribution is painting the completed buildings.   I found it difficult to shade them, as the pollyfiller covering is so flat.   We filled a bag with sand from the beach the last time we were in Calpe, and I attach it with white glue.  The end result is quite good, and it gives a standard finish to all the buildings and walls.

We do not spend a lot of time on the project, perhaps three or four hours each week.   It is very satisfying to see the collection growing.       

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful work Paul and Jan. The partnership produces fantastic looking results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James

    Thanks for your comment

    It certainly makes things easier having a wife who is interested in all aspects of the hobby.

    We have wargamed together for many years, particularly since we retired. Jan has also make the occasional one off building over the years. But this is the first time that we have taken on a large project like this together.

    So far its working out well!

    ReplyDelete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any