Sunday 26 June 2016

Revision of Napoleonic Wargame Rules



I wrote these rules in 2011 when I started our 1813 campaign.   They are designed to provide the simple, fast moving and fun type of wargames which we both enjoy.   I posted them online as a blog so that players in the campaign, and anyone else wanting to follow the campaign, could understand how the battles were resolved.  

This is the first major update of the rules since they were written in 2011.   I am revising the campaign and the campaign rules, and it seemed a good time to do the same for the wargames rules.

These rules were never intended to be used by anyone else, and the style of writing reflects this.   So I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the blog has 32 members/followers and has had 34689 visits.   Many, indeed most, of those will be players taking part in the PBEM campaign.  But it is still a very respectable number for a set of “house rules”.

The rules have been used on our wargames table on most days since they were first written.   We normally play one campaign wargame each week, and each game lasts twelve moves.   So the rules have been well play tested.

They have stood the test of time with only minor adjustments.  

When the rules were written my wife and I were running a solo 1813 campaign.   
The rules were written to suit our armies organisation and the length of a campaign day.   For example each campaign day was 12 hours long.   Each wargame was 12 moves long.

I did not change the rules when we converted the campaign to PBEM.  

My wife and I fight all of the campaign battles as wargames.  I post a battle report of each wargame on the campaign diary blog, but I transferred what happened on the table into campaign language.   For example one casualty on the wargames table was translated to 10% casualties in the battle report.

The main reason for this rewrite was to amend all such references so that they would make sense in the campaign.   So, for example, one casualty has been replaced by 10% casualties


No comments:

Post a Comment

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any