Sunday 1 September 2024

Summer Project – New Maps



Map of Europe

It gets very hot here in Spain in July and August, and we have to close down our weekly walking group until the cooler weather arrives in September. We also have to switch to our summer routine, which means avoiding any unnecessary outdoor activity after 0900 each day. Consequently we have to find more indoor activity to avoid what can be a very boring period. So each year I look for a new project, preferably on the computer, to pass the long hot hours. This year it is to update my wargame campaign maps.

In July 2021 I did a major project to replace our campaign maps from one based on real maps showing countries and regions to maps based on fictional military regions and districts. The new maps were based on a Road Atlas of Europe, so that cities and towns would be more or less where they are and in relation to each other. Each square on the new map would be a campaign phase, a wargames table or a wargames scenic square, depending on the scale and area covered.

On this map each square is a military region, which is also the area covered by a campaign phase. Note that Brunswick region is in the centre of northern Germany.

Map of Germany

I tried to use the previous maps to locate scenic features such as rivers, mountains and forests.   Terrain features were not shown on the road map, nor were 1813 national borders.   When I was making the original maps these were difficult to place, and even more so with the new fictional maps.

The principle of the fictional military region and district maps was to make it easy to select an area for each campaign phase, and also to show terrain fetures.    In this respect it worked very well. It was also easier to transfer battles from the campaign map to the wargames table. But the location of rivers and mountains became more difficult and required a lot of compromise.

To overcome this problem I have decided to start with the wargames table and work back to the maps. I wanted each campaign phase to have hills, rivers and woods, but not too many of either.

This map shows the three areas of Germany, namely north, central and southern. The nine military regions are shown, and also the nine districts in each region. Brunswick is the centre top region. Each square on this map is a 6x6 foot wargames table.

Brunswick Region

Previously regional maps tried to show all hills, woods and rivers as they would appear on a modern map of the area. This proved difficult to translate to the campaign map. So I have redesigned them.

They now show the nine districts in the region, and the town indicating whether they are walled or not. For example the city of Brunswick is open, but the city of Magdeburg is walled. They also show major rivers, wooded areas and hilly areas. Two types of road are also shown. Major roads connecting the city of each region is red. Towns within a region are connected by yellow roads. Minor roads are not shown. Each square on this map is also a 6x6 foot wargames table.


Campaign map


These are also new and the one shown is not complete. It covers a larger area than the earlier campaign maps. Previously the area covered would have been from Brunswick to Magdeburg. The new maps will show all of Brunswick region. This is to allow the possibility of larger campaigns to include all nine districts of the region being attacked.

When completed this map will show the same terrain shown on the regional map. It will also show minor roads, villages and farms plus minor woods and high ground.

Each square on this map is a 2x2 foot scenic square on the wargames table.

This is not a major change to the campaign maps, it is rather the standardisation of detail on all maps from Europe to the campaign map showing the area of conflict.

6 comments:

  1. Thistlebarrow,

    I read this with great interest, having just completed a map for my Belle Époque project.

    I must admit that your maps have an elegant simplicity that I find very impressive … and I wonder if I might have gone a bit overboard with my own map. It’s certainly given me something to think about.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob

    Thanks for your comments

    I have been following your maps with interest. I almost put on a comment, but I know your have seen my maps many times and did not want to seem pushy

    I like the idea that you have included your earlier local maps on your new campaign map. My own maps went through many amendments and I am sure that yours will too.

    I was going to make two comments. First consider building your maps up from your wargames table, rather than trying to make your table fit the map. Second consider having a town or terrain feature each days march. This will give you something to fight over at the end of each march, if required.

    I look forward to seeing how your campaign maps develop

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I found your comment very helpful and will be strongly bearing them in mind when I restart my map drawing.

      By the way, I will be mentioning your maps on my blog. I think they deserve a wider audience.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob

      Two comments from you in one day! Hope that this means you are feeling a little better and catching up on your backlog of reading blogs?

      Thanks for your kind comments about my maps. As I mentioned in my reply to Ion, my maps are more practical than pretty. I wish I was more artistic, as your maps are, but we must all make do with our individual talents. I have found the Profantasy map making app really useful. I have been using it for ten years or more, and it has greatly improved the quality of my map making, and also so easy to amend and update the campaign maps. I was going to suggest it when I read a recent post on your blog, but realised that you are perfectly happy with your existing method. I am sure that, like me, you get great satisfaction out of creating and then developing your campaign maps.

      best regards

      Paul

      Delete
  3. thistlebarrow -
    What a brilliant campaign map! I do wish I had thought of something like it. I've yet to make a decision on the format of my own campaign map for my 'War of the Nations: the Final Coalition'. You might well have pointed me in a direction I want to go... I like your advices too. I have a reasonably detailed map to work from, and one can always fudge distances...

    Now... (thinks to himself) ... do I want squares or hexes...?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ion
    Thanks for your comment, glad you like the map

    I have never been very artistic and find that a purely functional map suits me best. I also spent years trying to create a historical map of europe, but even getting national boundries right defeated me. The maps available are either too large a scale, or too small an area. I also found it really difficult to determine the exact areas of mountain ranges and forrests. It was easy to determine their general location, but translate it to my campaign map never seemed to work.

    My biggest problem was that my main aim was to start with the wargames table and impose that on my campaign map. It sounds easy, but I found more difficult than expected.

    I wish you luck with your maps. They are great fun to create, but I have found that just as wargames can never replicate real war, campaign maps can never relicate all of the actual and historical terrain. But it is great fun trying to make it work.

    ReplyDelete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any