Sunday 9 June 2019

Role of French Imperial Guard


Napoleon with the Imperial Guard


Imperial Guard

One of the first figures I ever bought was a handful of Hinton Hunt French Guard Grenadiers way back in 1969.   The other figures were British Horse Artillery and Highlanders.   I had a very limited knowledge of orders of battle during the Napoleonic Period.   I just liked the look of those particular figures.

This was long before the current obsession with historical orders of battle.   But even so I soon came to realise that for my wargames to have any bearing on historical Napoleonic battles I would have to aim for some sort of balance which would at least look like a Napoleonic army.

By then I had a “unit” of about 16 French Guard Grenadiers and it was obvious that I would need many hundreds of French line infantry to get the proportion of elite to line infantry looking more or less right.  However that would take a long time.   And in the meantime my French Guard took their place on the wargames table as just another French infantry “unit”.


Old Guard
As my wargames collection grew I started to organise them for use with Wargames Research Group.   As I recall there was no historical order of battle.   You could use any collection of “units” to represent a French army.   Throughout this period my Hinton Hunt Guard Grenadiers fought with my mostly Airfix French infantry.

Gradually I became aware of historical orders of battle.  I believe it was when I discovered Peter Gilder and “In the Grand Manner” that my collection of infantry became corps or divisions.  Even in the massive battles at his Wargames Holiday Centre there were no historical orders of battle.   A corps would consist of about ten 36 man infantry “units”, plus cavalry and artillery.   But there was no division or brigade organisation.

During this period my Hinton Hunt and Airfix were replaced with a series of different makes.   First Miniature Figurines, then Elite and Front Rank.   Each time I upgraded my French figures I included a selection of Imperial Garde.

But as I became more aware of historical orders of battle I also came to realise that the Imperial Garde NEVER fought as part of the main battle line.  They ALWAYS formed the reserve.   Consequently they very rarely actually fought at all.   As I came to understand this, my metal Imperial Garde was left on the shelf more and more.  

 
Young Guard
In the mid 1990 I replaced my collection for the last time.   I wanted to upgrade all of the mixed collection with Front Rank and Elite.   I was still using Grand Manner rules, or at least my own rules derived from them.   My Imperial Garde would consist of one division of Old Guard and one of Young Guard.    Each would have four 36 figure “units”.   There would also be a couple of cavalry “units” and artillery.

When I came to my great reorganisation to create my fictional 1813 campaign armies I started with these same figures.   The Old Guard division would become my Old Guard corps, the same for the Young Guard.  

The Old Guard would form part of my First French Army, which was commanded by Napoleon himself.   The Young Guard corps would form part of the Second French Army

At last I had found a way to use my Imperial Garde in every campaign, if not in every wargame.   They took their part in the field army, and fought as an individual corps.  But then the whole French army took the field/table, they would serve as the reserve of the four corps.

This compromise means that they no longer gather dust on the shelf.  Both Guard corps would be used in sequence the same as the rest of the French corps.   They would serve in different armies to avoid making one French army too powerful.  But I felt this was reasonable as the Young Guard was used in the same way in 1813, to bolster the largely conscript army which Napoleon commanded in that campaign

I will explain in a later blog how I have adjusted the combat ability of both corps to allow them to fight against Prussian, Russian, Austrian, British or even Spanish corps without always winning.

8 comments:

  1. Another interesting read Paul. It's funny how we all started out with the Guard Grenadiers isn't it, I'm sure I read that it was one of Hinchliffes best selling figures. Once again I like how how you organise the Guard to fit with your overall Army organisation, to be used as a reserve as they should be' I was looking at my old 'Airfix Guide to Napoleonic Wargaming' the other day, the French army in the battle used to illustrate the rules consist of four infantry battalions, one of which is of course the Guard Grenadiers! Those old rules were actually quite complex, for example the use of a protactor to reface artillery batteries! I quickly gave up on them and moved onto WRG which you mention above, I very much enjoyed those rules. I look forward to reading how you tweak the Guards performance to produce a more even battle against lesser quality troops.

    From a painters point of view though Paul it must have been hard deciding which cavalry units to use, I mean how did you resist the lancers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thistlebarrow,

    A very interesting blog post. One of the reasons why I was put off Napoleonic wargaming years ago was the fact that I always seemed to command troops who were fighting a French army that seemed to comprise the Imperial Guard. I never stood a chance ... and in the end, I just gave up the uneven struggle.

    (It's worth noting that I've had the same problem with WW2 wargamers whose armies seem to comprise nothing but King Tigers, 88mm anti-tank guns, and top notch Panzergrenadiers.)

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a long, long time, my French army had no Guard figures at all. That's not strictly true, as some Minifigs S-Range Voltigeurs of the Young Guard were among the first figures I ever bought. But they were never used as such; they became line grenadiers and voltigeurs instead.

    In recent years I became more interested in the type of Army level play and organisation that you have pioneered. Not prezackly the same: my formations are larger, but there are fewer Army Corps (seven in my French army). My Imperial Guard comprises three infantry Divisions: Old, Middle and Young Guard, each of 24 figures; and three cavalry Brigades, one heavy, denoted by horse grenadiers; and two light, represented by 12 Chasseurs-a-Cheval and 8 Red Lancers. The Guard also get 3 cannon, instead of the one or occasionally two in the other Army Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee

    Thanks for your comments.

    I think the reason we all fielded Guard units, and other pretty ones like British Riflemen and Royal Horse Artillery, is because we just did not know any better. Or at least that is my excuse. It took a lot of years before I really grasped the importance of balance between types of troops. I well remember getting a copy of a book called “Model Soldiers” by Henry Harris (I think that is right). It was actually about collecting 54mm Britain’s model soldiers, but it had a chapter on each arm and their function. Resulted in a LOT of work for me as I tried to bring some semblance of historical balance to my collection of elite Hinton Hunt figures and line Airfix plastic.

    As I explained above I did not buy any new figures when I did the major overhaul of my 28mm and 15mm figures for my 1813 Campaign. This was a particular problem with regards to cavalry. Most of my collection were French, and in particular a lot of lancers. Not just French line, but also Polish. Each unit was split in two and became a brigade. But there was only one per corps. No reserve cavalry at all. This is one of my biggest regrets. I currently have a balance between heavy and light, but not the balance I would have chosen if I had the freedom to choose the exact units.

    Best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob

    Nice to hear from you again.

    I know what you mean about everyone fielding Imperial Guard. I recall it was particularly so when WRG rules were the popular choice. I seem to remember that there was no restriction about what units you had in an army. Long before the current style of following historical orders of battle. I believe that in competition games you had a points system, though I never used that for our wargames.

    Strangely I have never been interested in WW2 (despite being a regular soldier for 22 years). But I did dabble in Ancients. And I remember you could match armies from different periods of history. I doubt you could get away with that now!

    Best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Archduke Piccolo

    Thanks for your comments.

    You were obviously much more switched on than I was, because you did not start off with a Guard unit.

    I just had a quick look at your blog, because I was not aware that you did corps sized Napoleonic wargaming. The first post I saw featured a lot of German paper buildings, very similar to the ones on my wargame shelves. I have largely replaced them with homemade buildings which my wife Jan makes. But it brought back lovely memories to see those familiar buildings on the table again.

    Must read your Napoleonic posts, because it sounds like we are doing something very similar.

    It sounds like you were able to create the exact formations you wanted? I decided to tailor my orders of battle to the figures I already had in my collection. I sometime wish I had not restricted myself to do so. I would like to have the correct balance of types of cavalry for example.

    Regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul,

    Since the advent of the Army Lists that come with DBA, those wargamers who tend to favour Ancients have generally fought with opponents from the same timeframe and geographic region BUT there are a few who have continued to keep the Hyborian Age alive, where armies are drawn from across ancient history ... and are having great fun doing so.

    I began wargaming with Airfix and ROCO stuff, and had several 'mix and match' WW2 armies (e,g. Airfix 6-pounder anti-tank guns converted into German 37mm and 50mm anti-tank guns and Bren Gun Carriers converted into Japanese light tanks and Pzkpfw I tanks). I fought numerous (now long lost) campaigns on the floor of my bedroom ... and later on a painted pasting table.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bob

    I never had a problem with Ancient armies from different periods, though I only used Romans v Ancient Britons. That was because they were the only two armies available from Airfix! However I was very proud to use two armoured elephants as part of my Ancient Briton army. I remember that we got them from a toy shop, and they were more or less the right size. They were my first conversions. I made a "fighting platform" out of cardboard and put a couple of Airfix in it.

    I do however remember reading outraged letters about mixing Ancient armies from different periods, possible in Don Featherstone's "Wargamers Newsletter". Strange that I do not recall any outraged Napoleonic wargamers as a result of very unbalanced armies. Particularly as now it is the Napoleonic group who have the worse reputation for "flame wars" about minor detail.

    Happy memories of fighting large wargames on the floor with Jan. No basing in those days, just lots of plastic figures which kept falling over!

    regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any