Saturday 28 March 2009

Campaigns Tactical maps

What are the tactical maps for?

These maps are designed to transfer the strategic movement of the various corps and armies to the wargames table. They should also make maximum use of my wargames scenery. It was also important that they should not require too much paperwork or administration.

My wargames table

My table is 6' x 6'. The scenery consists of 21 MDF boards, each 2' x 2'. Therefore the whole table would have 9 squares. I have made 21 scenic boards, and those not in use are stored under the table. This photo shows the table prior to the deployment of the armies.






The scenery boards

All are painted green. There are 7 boards with hills. The remaining 14 have roads or rivers pained on them, or are blank. Both sides are painted to represent different scenery. Therefore there are 35 different scenery sections. Each board is numbered for each of reference.


Top face of each board





Bottom face of each board





Making the tactical map

The tactical map has 108 squares, each representing a scenery board. Each square has a number for ease of reference. Therefore each 3 x 3 represents one square on the strategic map. The tactical map covers the same area as 4 x 3 squares on the strategic map.

When two armies come within 4 squares on the strategic map, and both continue to advance, I make a tactical map to show the area in more detail. I research the type of terrain from the original road map, historical maps and Google Earth. However it is not meant to be a copy of the actual ground, but rather to provide an interesting wargame.

There are four corps on each side in each campaign. Only one corps may occupy each strategic square, and only one corps may occupy each tactical square. When two opposing corps come within 4 squares of each other on the tactical map the wargames table is prepared and fighting takes place. After the battle the results are transferred back to the tactical map.

If one side makes a tactical withdrawal, as opposed to a rout, the battle can continue, as the map is a rolling one.

Each wargame lasts 12 moves. Therefore each square on the tactical map represents 4 game moves. This allows me to bring on reinforcements during the game, and can also provide for tactical off table moves.

I have made 2" square cards to show each of the possible 35 scenery boards. Using these I make a plan of the tactical map. Care is taken to ensure that no scenery board is used twice within 3 squares.

There is a reference grid on each map. This is to identify the square in the strategic map, but there is also a new reference for each square, 1 to 12 along the top and A to I down the side. For example Madgeburg would be E8.



2 comments:

  1. That's a neat table you have designed there. I have something very simliar. Great minds think alike! ;-)

    Best Regards,

    Stokes Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stokes

    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I have just figured how to post a comment!

    I can take no credit for the table, it was made by a professional!! I just gave him a drawing, and he did the rest.

    My carpenter skills are pretty well non existant.

    Thanks for comments

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any