Table at the start of a wargame
I am fortunate that I have had a permanent wargames table for many years.
Before we moved to Spain my garage was converted to a wargames club room.
I had a wargames group of 4 to 8 for many years, and a 12x6 foot wargames table
This was long enough for 4, or even 6 at a pinch, but not for 8.
I came to appreciate that a playing area of about 4x3 foot per player was about right
I came to this conclusion after many years of weekly wargames.
When we were planning to move to Spain we bought our house “off plan”
This meant we had some input about the size of rooms, within reason
Our major priority in choosing a house was having a wargames room.
We had a large room with enough space for a 6x6 foot table
This was the first building block in my planning the wargames room
During our last couple of years in the UK I replaced all of my 28mm armies.
So I was able to plan the number of infantry, cavalry and artillery required
This was in 2004, before the popularity of 8 figure infantry units.
I decided infantry units would have 20 figures, 4 of which would be skirmishers
Cavalry units would have 8 figures and artillery 1 gun and 4 figures.
Each allied army would have 8 infantry, 2 cavalry and 4 artillery units
This would give me 160 infantry figures, 16 cavalry and 4 artillery
This would give me a good balance of arms, and scope for different types of troops
The French would have four such armies, old guard, young guard and two line
There would be 6 Bavarian units, 1 each Baden, Polish, Vistula, Wurtemberg and Italian.
I had no firm idea about orders of battle, or indeed which rules I would use
For many years I had used “house rules” based on “In the Grand Manner”
So brigades, divisions and corps were very flexible.
I completed painting the new figures just before we moved to Spain in 2006.
My first year in Spain was spent making the wargames table and storeage shelves.
We also played a lot of wargames, getting used to the table and the armies.
By 2008 I was getting bored with “one off” wargames.
We fought a series of games based on Wellington in the Peninsular
These were a series of stand alone games, not a campaign
I then tried something similar with Napoleon in Italy, but it did not work so well
That is when I decided to create my own fictional wargame campaign.
I wanted a campaign which would provide an endless supply of battles to wargame
I also wanted to be able to use all of the figures in my collection
There was only one historical campaign which would fit the bill – namely 1813.
The historical campaign covered both Germany and Spain
It was also the first time that Napoleon did not have an advantage in troop quality.
Next time I will explain how I created armies and corps out of this collection.

Very interesting post, I always like seeing other peoples thought processes when designing an army or rules, campaigns etc. Look forward to the next instalment.
ReplyDeleteHi Donnie. Glad you enjoyed it. It is rather typical that I spent many years buying and painting replacement 6mm, 18mm and 28mm armies only to need to change them again within a couple of years of completing the task!
DeleteThistlebarrow,
ReplyDeleteWhat a very interesting blog post! I always enjoy reading about how other people have developed their wargame armies and organised their wargaming. I look forward to seeing the next instalment!
All the best,
Bob
Hi Bob. Thanks for the comment. I didn't mention it in the post, but I had replaced not only 28mm with Front Rank, but also 18mm Minifigs with AB and even updated my 6mm Heroice and Ros. And within a few years had to convert them all for the 1813 campaign !
DeleteI'm enjoying this 'back history' already! I had to smile a bit at your decision concerning troop ratios. My own French and Prussian armies have far, far too many horsemen! What impresses me most about your own set-up is the elegant simplicity of it all. Were I forty years younger, I'd probably adopt the same sort of arrangements.
ReplyDeleteNot that I have any regrets, you understand...
Cheers,
Ion
Hi Ion
DeleteI was very lucky, because it was not planned, that I was able to convert my larger units into smaller brigades. Even more so that it all worked so well with the campaign. But most of all that my table, which was determined by the size of my wargames room, allowed my national numbers to convert into four corps per nation, which then fit so well on the table. And I did not have to rebase a single figure or repaint a single figure to even things up. "Someone" must have been looking out for me!
regards
Paul